FS: Shift FS: Shift

This would make good background music.

Mostly because it wouldn't distract terribly from the game or video that it was taking the background to.

Maybe you're right.
Thanks for reviewing :)

My Quiet Place (Updated) My Quiet Place (Updated)

Trippy

The piece establishes a groove and lives there, throwing out glitches like Windows ME. For a "quiet place" it's certainly noisy.

The kick- It works in places, and in others, doesn't. At its best, it's driving, at the worst, repetitive. In particular, the kicks during the intro seem the weakest, where it seems you were much more focused on the moving parts. The kicks work better during the high-energy moments. (The build to and the part at 1:30 are good examples of it working.)

Glad to see you doing music again Gravey.

Gravey responds:

I would say I agree with everything you've said here. Thanks again friend.

-Gravey-

B7 - Frosted Underwear B7 - Frosted Underwear

Your complexity is improving

I have Melodica, Ominous Intrigue, and both versions of Into The Unknown kicking around my iPod. Hopefully that gives me some perspective on how your musical composition skills have improved.

Your melodies are strong. Always have been. They groove, the move, they make me want to dance.

Now, where I see the most difference is in the musical elements weaving in and around the melody, supporting and countering, which is fucking kickass.

I'll admit, the opening is a little long for my normal tastes. Listener loyalty convinced me to stick with this song though.

I'm checking out Ice Aliens now.

Burn7 responds:

Heh... Thanks dude.

It's cool to see people that have heard my older pieces come back and check out my newer stuff. I try to learn from my past mistakes and take in everything I can when it comes to writing music. So I'm always trying to improve, and hearing someone say that I actually have is quite nice.

Yeah, the opening was extended a fucking TON to increase buildup and tension within the game it was written for.

Thanks for coming back and checking my stuff, man! <3 :D

B7 - The Thunderous Exodus B7 - The Thunderous Exodus

Expand! Expand!

I generally have a thing against 'industrial', which most people take to be some kind of drum n bass bullcrap.

This is not that bullcrap. The sounds are heavy and glitchy (as they should be), the pace is driven fast (as it should be), and your techno background definitely shows.

Love the transition at :25.

:50 starts the portion where I feel the song leans towards more towards techno and away from industrial. You write kickass techno, so it all sounds good, but I figure if this were expanded to full length I'd want to hear a massive build to a cacophony of anger, rage and as much distortion and glitchy sounds as you could manage.

I know you understand builds and how to increase the energy of a song as it progresses (See: Into the Unknown V2), and I definitely think containing this to a loop is a shame.

Expand it, please?

Burn7 responds:

Hehe.... See, I feel the same way about this song. It was actually just a little extension of "Twyrlwhinde Fax Machine" that just kind of grew into it's own song. And because the original song was for Ice Aliens, I decided to extend that little section out a little further into it's own loop and use that in the game as well.

I do actually like the way this song sounds though, perhaps one boring day in the future I'll open this fucker up and add to what I've got. But for now I really don't have any plans to make this anything more than what it is.

And besides, isn't that enough already?

Hahaha... Thanks! :D

VeXy - Winter VeXy - Winter

Too long....

It's been a while man. A very very long while.

So, first off, your sound is smooth. Some of the rough edges, the 'amateur' effect that a lot of newgrounds music has seems to be completely eradicated. The mastering and sound quality shines pretty bright throughout the piece.

I love the dark sound of the beginning. It quickly disappears into a much happier piece- but it's something I believe you'll be able to explore easily should you choose.

Smooth man... 10/10, 5/5, and downloaded. This will be a nice tune to listen to on long bus rides.

Ominous Intrigue Ominous Intrigue

You showed some damn good growth with this

Let me start by stating that Into The Unknown was the Techno piece that made me investigate more of your work.

This has similarities that cannot be denied- from song structure to instrumentation- but overall, it's stronger, more complex, and more mature.

Downloading. Wish you'd consider writing more hard techno again.

Reasoner- Solitude Reasoner- Solitude

Woa....

I've been trawling for music to include in the music folder of TES: Oblivion... and wow, this is definitely getting included..... It fits the atmosphere of the game perfectly, I feel.

Muss: Odd Muss: Odd

Does what you went out to acomplish

You wanted funny and odd- and it succeeds fairly well. I personally disagree with gravey- the flute, while nothing amazing, seems to fit the song. It's quirky, it wouldn't be out of place in some quirky flash animation- and the rest of the song is similar. The song has a sense of urgency about it that I enjoy.

Is it a musical masterpiece that will be handed down the ages? Probably not. But it is perfectly odd, and that being your goal, you succeeded.

FairSquare responds:

I agree with your review :p
Thanks!

MC9 MC9

Always love

I can't listen to any of the songs you've written after Madness 6 and not hear the Clown's theme breaking through in some way or another. The recurring motifs are kickass, and the subtlety of how you allow them to enter the music almost always takes me a few listens to catch on to.

cheshyre responds:

I'm glad you caught on! Thanks!!

Muss: Ringtone Muss: Ringtone

Gotta quick question

Would you be willing to use this as your ringtone?

FairSquare responds:

A bit of a strange question, but ok :p
Unfortunately, i can't put this on my phone because i can't connect my phone to my PC in any way. It's an old phone :p
But if i could put this on my phone, i would. I already put it on my moms phone and it sounded pretty cool. She has it as her ringtone now :p

But i think you should've asked this question in a PM and not in a review. Simply because this is no review of the song.